JOY

GRAB JOY, ENJOY AND SHARE JOY

Wednesday, August 21, 2013

ME AND MY SHADOW

ME AND MY SHADOW TAKE A TRIP TO TUSCANY

I have collected silhouettes for many years.  I especially love the ones from the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries. A person would sit/pose for extended periods while an itinerant artist clipped their silhouette with precision into a work of art.  They would then frame the silhouette and give it as a gift, hide it in a gold locket for only their love to view or keep it as a commemorative of a special occasion.

Sometimes the silhouette was cut from wax and not paper as was the common method.

I find the ones from the thirties and forties very delicate and offer amazing detail.

 

This unusual example shows a "kiss" which I am assuming was meant for this fellow's object of affection.  It also states it was done in Ft. Worth and has the artist's signature.  I have not seen another one like this for sale.

I DECIDED I NEEDED TO HAVE A SILHOUETTE OF MY VERY OWN!

My son gave me a book on Italian frescoes, which I absolutely read with a passion.  What woman doesn't love anything Tuscanesque? The few times I have been to Italy caused me to fall in love with the beautifully fading art on the buildings and makes me want to return over and over again.   I saw a wonderful ancient fresco and thought I could recreate it on one of my bedroom walls.  Oh, and why not put my shadow on the wall too.
My silhouette features me catching dragonflies in the palm of my hand.  There are hundreds of dragonflies at Hawk's Creek and all are beautiful.  Love them, love the fresco, love Italy and
love that my husband gave me substance when he traced my outline. 


I am not a seasoned artist but sure had fun recreating this wall and am thankful that loving primitives helps me to accept my limited skills:-)


A collection of abandoned bird's nests feel  right at home in my primitive tree .

You can make your own silhouette and your own fresco.  Find a scene you really like and imagine yourself in that scene. Have someone draw your outline on the wall you have chosen.  All you have to do is lightly color in your "shadow". Maybe the person outlining you will give you added substance too.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment